Google now accounts for the majority of my traffic. To achieve this success, there was five simple things I did that boosted my search traffic:
- Compressed My Photos
- Embedded Keywords Appropriately
- Added Alt Text To My Photos (Adding Quality Photos Where Needed)
- Pushed My Content on Multiple Social Media Platforms
- Lengthened My Articles
THE POWER OF GOOGLE SEO
Every business needs to focus on Google. It is powerful for many reasons (many beyond the scope of this article). However, two of the most important reasons are by:
- Boosting Your Website’s Trust (More Sales, Authority, and Returning Audience)
- Providing Sustainable Traffic
People trust Google. If you rank on the first page of Google, people will likely trust you. This leads to more people returning to your site, buying what you are selling, and to developing sustainable traffic. If you can keep in favor with the Google algorithm, you will get traffic over and over again.. and this traffic will convert.
Of course, understanding SEO isn’t easy. In fact it’s incredibly complicated, chock-full of theories and endlessly changing.
However, there are a few simple (tried and true) strategies you can do right now that will make a difference.
5 SIMPLE TIPS TO BOOST YOUR GOOGLE TRAFFIC (SEO HACKS)
1.COMPRESS PHOTOS (REDUCE FILE SIZE)
One of the first things you can do to improve your rank on Google is to compress your photos. Website speed is a huge factor in Google SEO success. That’s why I highly recommend investing some time into analyzing your site speed and improving it. Site speed depends on multiple factors, including your host, internet connections, amount of plugins, and website cache. However, one thing that can improve your site almost immediately is reducing the file size of photos.
You can reduce file size in numerous ways, including:
- Using the JPEG format (if you aren’t already)
- Reduce file size with a website compressor such as:
Directly on your computer with the built in apple or windows photo editor
There really isn’t a “right size”. However, when possible I try to convert all png images to jpg. Jpg’s are smaller in size than png files. As for jpg images, I try to compress them just enough that they load quicker, but are still kept to a high quality standard (no blurry photos are allowed on my blog!)
As for a generally guide, I try to reduce my files below 1oo K (kilobytes) whenever possible. However, as mentioned previously, I do avoid this if the image quality is compromised.
Use your best judgement.
2. EMBED KEYWORDS IN HEADINGS, URL, CAPTIONS, & TITLE
Keyword research is sooo important for Google success.
As overwhelming as keyword research can seem to be, it’s actually quite simple. Determine which words you can rank for (use my guide here if you are new to it) and then write a blog topic on it. If you already have the content written, determine what your true subjects are and find out which keyword phrases fit. A well written blog piece should only require a few tweaks.
Once you know which long-tail keyword phrases to use, then embed them in a few key places. These include:
- Alt. Text
- and within a few paragraphs.
When doing this, make sure it sounds natural and “flows”. Don’t just throw it in there for the sake of it… write quality content and embed the keywords where they should go.
3. ADD ALT TEXT TO PHOTOS (WITH KEYWORDS)
As you can tell, photos can go a long ways in SEO. One of the most important things you can do with photos is add alt text (alternative text) to the photos that are embedded with keywords.
What is alt text?
Alt text is really just a description of a photo. Search engines use this description to identify the content of the photo. That’s why photo alt text are crucial for ranking on Google. You are literally telling Google what your photos are about (and also telling people who can’t load images what that image is suppose to be about). Now days, photo search results provide as much as a return as text search.
How to add alt text
Adding alt text to an image is soo easy. In WordPress, all you have to do is click on a photo in the media library (where you grab photos for your website) and then edit the alt text section as shown below.
4. PUSH CONTENT ON MULTIPLE SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
Content can rank better in Google when shared on different social media channels.
Social media is a must for any blogging marketing strategy. It’s not just there for brand awareness, but to help drive traffic to your blog.
Social media benefits blogs in numerous ways, however a few very distinct things it does:
- Allows More People To Know About Your Blog (and when it updates): Having people on your site is crucial in Google learning how good your site is (and where it should rank).
- Add’s Social Cues: After a long debate (and back and forth spars between Google and platforms such as Twitter), Hootsuite did a study to see if social media cues by themselves help SEO rankings. Turns out they do.
- Leads to More Backlinks (which then leads to higher SEO ranking). The more quality backlinks the better. Social media often generates the audience that allows for natural backlinks.
- Better Return Rate: Often times, people who follow you on social media are personally invested in you and more likely to return to your website on a frequent basis.
If you don’t have already have a social media strategy, invest time and energy in one.
5. IMPROVE THE LENGTH & QUALITY OF YOUR POST
Sometimes the BEST thing you can do is simply go over old content and improve it. A few things you can do to a post to improve it (and see better SEO results) include:
- Making it 1,000 words or more
- Embedding a video to improve time spent on page
- Fix grammatical and spelling errors
- Improve paragraph spacing and headlines
- Interlink additional posts
- Add high quality photos (make sure they are compressed)
Long, in-depth content is generally favorited by Google… as long as it’s done well. Provide information that helps people, improve the readability of your post, and add media to help keep people on your page for longer. All of these things can make a tremendous difference when improving your blog ranking on Google.
GOOGLE LIKES LONG, QUALITY CONTENT
A productive content strategy includes promoting your content, measuring the results and making adjustments. In fact, creating the content is only the very beginning of what needs to be done to build up your traffic and rank on Google.
That’s why it’s important to focus on simple, easy to implement details. By doing that you will boost your blog and your results.