Web hosting is basically the space that you buy on a web server to store your website files. When you buy website hosting you basically rent server space on a server where your web files will be placed. So whenever somebody will look up for your website by entering your domain, he will get directed to your website. You can design a website on your own computer but unless you upload it on a hosting server it can never be accessed by anyone.
Web hosting is one of the most important investments when running a business website. Its success relies on a number of web hosting strategies, which you can get to grips with through this post.
What is web hosting?
To better understand the importance of web hosting, let’s first look into what it actually is.
In simple terms, web hosting is a server where all of your website files are stored. Although there are many types of hosting out there, these are the top three:
To narrow it down further, the most common type used is shared web hosting. This allows many businesses to store their websites on the same server. For speedier websites, some choose dedicated hosting. Those looking for extra reliability may go with cloud hosting – if one cloud fails, another steps in to save the day.
Why is web hosting important for your website?
Now onto the good stuff. Getting hosting right means more traffic and bigger revenue. Here is a breakdown of some of the key reasons why it is so vital to get web hosting spot on:
People hate waiting. Google doesn’t like it when you make people wait. To put things into perspective, 40% of visitors leave a website if it doesn’t load in as little as 3 seconds. So, to help with increasing your SEO rankings, speedy loading is the one thing you really can’t go without.
Without having a safe, well-maintained website, you risk being hacked. If this happens, Google will begin to ‘distrust’ your website, which could lead to decreased SEO rankings. Good hosting ensures that all parts of your website are well oiled and they are running smoothly (antivirus and firewall, for example).
The idea of the World Wide Web would suggest that you can host your website anywhere in the world, but this is not quite the case. Google takes into account the IP address of your server and this affects your SEO rankings. To make sure your rankings are high, it is best to host your website in the same country as it operates. This can also help with the faster loading speed, so it’s a win-win.
What is web domain names?
A domain name is your website name. A domain name is the address where Internet users can access your website. A domain name is used for finding and identifying computers on the Internet. Computers use IP addresses, which are a series of number. However, it is difficult for humans to remember strings of numbers. Because of this, domain names were developed and used to identify entities on the Internet rather than using IP addresses.
A domain name can be any combination of letters and numbers, and it can be used in combination of the various domain name extensions, such as .com, .net and more.
The domain name must be registered before you can use it. Every domain name is unique. No two websites can have the same domain name. If someone types in www.yourdomain.com, it will go to your website and no one else’s. The price of a domain name typically runs between $15-25 per year.
Why a strong domain name are important for your website?
- Adds professional credibility to your business and separates you from the millions of get-rich-quick-scheme websites out there.
- Provides visibility for your brand. Much like a storefront window, a good domain will create awareness and attract customers.
- Establishes your business as tech-savvy and forward-thinking. Whether you actually sell products online or not, it is crucial to your reputation to claim your territory online.
- Creates mobility for your internet presence. If you decide to change web hosting services, relocate to a different country, or shift to using your own in-house server, your domain name stays with you, allowing you to continue to build your brand without having to start all over.
- Increases your search engine ranking. As you build your business and develop your website with quality content, your domain name will become more and more recognizable in search engines like Google, which draws more customers in your direction.
- Will provide your brand with marketability around the world, or you can choose to focus specifically in a local region.
- As opposed to traditional marketing—as long as you keep current with the low annual fees—your domain name will not expire.